Sunday, February 13, 2011

Grammy's 2011

I'm going to try something new here. I wouldn't say it's a live blog because I won't post until the end of the show but I'll be writing as the show is going on. Performances, presenters, hosts and winners/losers. I'll refrain from listing all the categories at the beginning because it's not what I want to display. This may make it seem like I'm a Grammy freak, that I sit down every year and watch. I like award shows, I never really care who wins but it's entertaining (most of the time) for a few hours on a random Sunday night. A few artists I'm looking forward to winning this year: Lady Gaga, Eminem, Drake, and Cee-Lo.

I'll start before Grammy's actually with Anderson Coopers interview w/ Lady GaGa on "60 Minutes" I've seen a few GaGa interviews and she's a phenomenal person to talk to. What I love about her, there is no bullshit. Anderson Cooper asked her about drugs and while she doesn't do cocaine anymore she spoke about how she still smokes pot when she writes music. Why do you ask that she admit? Because as she puts it, she's not a liar, and that's where the problem is with famous people. They lie, when it's easier to just tell the truth. Another thing that is truly remarkable about her is what she calls being a student in life. She's involved in all processes of her life. She won't wear something without knowing who made it, what the inspiration was, and what it stands for. She's a lot smarter than people may believe. (More on that later, potential blog post in it's own).

And now the Grammy's:

What better way to start the show off than with a tribute to the 18 Grammy Award winner Aretha Franklin. Performers: Christina Aguilera, Florence from Florence and the Machine, Martina McBride, Jennifer Hudson and Yolanda Adams. All phenomenal voices who do the woman right and can belt it like Aretha can. I think people forget how amazing of a voice Christina Aguilera has. Despite her flub of the National Anthem at the Super Bowl, that girl has got some serious pipes. The woman hit notes like Mariah Carey can, I didn't know anyone could do that. While I love Florence's voice, I don't know if she was the right choice for a tribute to Aretha. Okay nevermind... that last note was worth it entirely. Jennifer Hudson is a perfect woman to be in this, some people speak of her with the same soulful voice as Aretha herself. RESPECT was a perfect song for her to sing. Phenomenal performances. These women have got soul.

First Grammy: Best Pop Performance by a Duo or a Group --> Hey Soul Sista - Train
Excellent choice I believe. It's a pop song that blew up this year not only on the radio but everywhere. Train is a great group. Well done on the Bieber comment in the acceptance speech.

Already performing it live... after 2 days of it being released. Lady GaGa "Born This Way". Hell freaking yes. There is a lot of people critiquing this song because it sounds so much like Madonna's "Express Yourself". Who cares, listen to the words, they're fantastic. Anyone who thinks she lip syncs, just stop talking. That was a phenomenal performance. Strange and different like GaGa always is, but surprisingly not too over the top, which I think got people to listen to the lyrics and her voice more. She looked fantastic and you can see in her body movements how much work she's doing up there.

As I'm not a big country person, Miranda Lambert not my choice in performer here, but she does have a good voice.

Mmmmm Lenny Kravitz to introduce Muse. While I know this song I don't know much about Muse. I'm intrigued to see this performance. This could ultimately make me listen to them or not. So far I'm into it. This is very futuristic, electronic and all around very good. I will always agree with someone who can rock a double necked guitar. Alright, Muse officially has a new fan. Going to some illegal site to download after the show.

Ryan Seacrest, hate him or love him, the guy works his ass off and does a good job at what he does. Bruno Mars, B.o.B and Janelle Monet, this should be interesting. I'm not sure about Bruno Mars, he's got talent, but I'm personally in it for B.o.B. I do love this song and I'm really digging the acoustic and mellow version of this song. As much as I do not like "Grenade" I do like this old 50's version of the song. Really slowing it down and adding the band makes it worlds better. I'm not sure who this Janelle Monet is but she's got good stage performance and a sweet voice. and who doesn't love a little crowd surfing? But what's surprising me right now is Bruno Mars on the drums and B.o.B. on the guitar. They are kind of awesome.

Best Female Vocal Country Performance: The House That Built me - Miranda Lambert.
Like I said, I'm not a country person. Can't really say much about this.

Up next: Justin Bieber and Usher... this could easily be my favorite performance of the night. This has got to be good. Awwwww look at littler Bieber singing Usher's to Usher.

Even if you don't like Bieber, the kid has got the talent to be a star. Not lip syncing and sitting down with an acoustic guitar, I'm impressed. He may have thousands up thousands of screaming teenage fans, he's got it. I'm impressed so far with this performance, solely of the fact that he's not lip syncing. WOW! Little Jaden Smith, is there not enough talent in that family already? Panning into the crowd to Will and Jada, you don't see movie stars, you just see 2 proud parents. What better way to end this but with Usher's "O.M.G." even he's singing for real tonight too. Maybe not 100% of the time but he's not just about the singing, I think there are a lot of people out there who just want the dance moves, including myself. I'm always impressed with Usher's performances. Mad props to that performance.

Best Rock Album: The Resistance - Muse
After their performance I have a feeling more people are going to listen to this album. While I don't know if I agree that they really deserved to win over Pearl Jam and especially Jeff Beck, but that's my own personal opinion.

Biebs is so cute in his white tux

Best Pop Album: The Fame Monster - Lady GaGa
While the other albums in this category are amazing, nothing can top what GaGa has done this year and especially with this album. It's great to see her speaking. You can hear the humbleness in her voice she's truly genuine with her success. I like her dominatrix outfit, I wonder what she'll roll out next.

Why is Letterman on this? Not funny. but thank you for introducing Bob Dylan, Avett Brothers and Mumford and Sons. The Cave, this is by far my favorite Mumford song, they really are a talented group of musicians. Headbanging with an upright bass, a banjo and an acoustic guitar, yes sir. Avett Bros are equally as amazing. Both of these groups have a ridiculous amount of talent between them. Wow Dylan, your voice has aged more than your looks. You still are amazing and with these guys playing with you, it's a perfect trio. Dylan's sound is an acquired taste, you like it or you don't, but the man knows how to write music. But as terrible as he sounded to bring out the harmonica, makes up for it all. "Maggie's Farm" was a perfect song for them to sing.

Oh that was a surprise... my future husband, Clay Matthews. He looks gooooood. oh yeah and this country thing still no thanks. I will give a lot of credit to Lady Antebellum however, I do think they have good voices I just don't like the music.

Best Country Album: Need You Now - Lady Antebellum
It's a big song, not my favorite, but good for them.

Cee-Lo and Gwyneth Paltrow, now if only they could actually perform without the censorship. I already feel funkified with the openings notes, but what on earth is he wearing? Do we have a new Elton John on our hands? I'm pretty sure these are the Muppetts on crack right now. The raspiness of Cee-Lo's voice is pretty sexy and who knew Gwyneth could actually sing live as well? She's not a recording artist, but she's pretty damn good. Cee-Lo always has had the funky 70's vibe to him but I don't think people expected that outfit from him.

Neil Patrick Harris to introduce Katy Perry seems so perfect after her cameo on How I Met Your Mother. There have been more artists this year who are actually singing, was there a memo sent out to keep people from lip syncing this year? I still can't stand her, but she's got good voice... okay scratch that, I do not like her voice when she goes too high but this is a pretty sweet performance dedicated to her husband Russell Brand. I am however in love with "Firework" definitely one of my guilty pleasure songs and I prefer her voice in this song much more.

John Mayer, Norah Jones and Keith Urban to tribute Dolly Parton. Now it's apparent that I don't like country music, but I like this performance. Kieth and John are both outstanding guitarists despite John looking like Johnny Depp right now. Short and nothing over the top. That's a great easy performance.

Song of the Year: Need You Now - Lady Antebellum.
Ray was robbed. End of story.

Let's see if Rihanna can refrain from ruining the performance tonight like she did that MTV VMA awards.

Leave it to Seth Rogan to crack out the Miley Cyrus getting high joke but to introduce Eminem... interesting.

Alright: Rihanna, Adam Levine from Maroon 5 AND Dr. Dre. That's an all-star performance mash-up right there. I still don't think I like Rihanna live, her voice is very whiny but she sounds better. Adam Levine could have done it himself. Eminem has already made up for it. God he's amazing, but once again I hate censorship, this is one instance I wish I was there to really hear it. You can see the intensity in his voice as the veins are bursting out of his forehead. He just took this perfomance to another level. Dr. Dre, no words. Skylar Dre and Em brought the song back to life after Rihanna nearly killed it, and not in a good way.

Best New Artist: Esperanza Spalding
Mumford & Sons should have won.

Mick Jagger has never performed at the Grammy's really?

I love Glee.

While music is important this was a serious downer on the night. Do this some other time.

Grammy Tribute... I hope they don't forget anyone like they have in years past *cough* LeRoi Moore *cough*.

ohhhhhhhh Mick. but paying tribute to Solomon Burke, excellent. You know you're good when you've got the whole arena dancing with you. While I've never been a big Stones fan myself, Mick is a legend. That was fantastic. Love the green jacket.

Oh Babs...

Nicki Manji is harnessing her inner GaGa. She reminds me of a cross between Wilma Flinstone and Mrs. Frankenstein

Best Rap Album: Recovery - Eminem
The right man won, if anyone else would have there would have been riots in the streets of Detroit (too soon for a joke like that?). The album can't be beat. It's got everything and will probably go down as one of the greatest albums of all time. He's truly a genius and he's got enough albums to prove that but Recovery brought him to another level.

Maybe Rihanna can redeem herself in this next performance w/ Drake, otherwise I have no doubts he'll be amazing. I'm pretty sure Diddy is drunk.

Drake you've already won my heart. You're voice is just so smooth and the lyrics are genius. Rihanna has made up for the last performance solely on sex appeal right now. She clearly needs to stick to the Jamaican sound in her voice. But hey at least she's not lip syncing. Eminem should find a replacement for her in live performances of "Love the Way You Lie".

Record of the Year: Need You Now - Lady Antebellum
They are raking up in this award show. This is one that I really do not agree with. Two songs deserve this so much more: Jay-Z and Eminem. I'd like to know reasoning behind this song winning the award. "Love the Way You Lie" has so much more power and emotion into it not to mention what Eminem has been through and what he put into that song and album.

The Arcade Fire. Love this band. However I do feel like I'm going to have a seizure with the lights but any band that can rock with a violin works for me. These lights really need to go, I can't focus on the music. But please explain to me why there are BMX bikers on the stage?

Album of the Year is where I'm torn because I love GaGa but I think no one deserves it more than Eminem. Those two in my mind deserve it more than anyone else. As much as I'd love to see GaGa win again, Eminem should get this one.

Album of the Year: Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
wow. wow. wow. not the right pick. should have been Eminem.

I was excited to end this but now I'm not, there's nothing I can do but oh well. I do like one thing about the Grammy's is they get in and get out, no real cheesy lines from presenters and and hosts. Awards, performances and then done.

Ti'll next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment