Sunday, February 27, 2011

And the Oscar goes to...

The coveted night is finally here.

A few observations from the Red Carpet:

14 year old Hailee Steinfeld looks fantastic. Its hard to believe shes so young. Very well poised very well spoken. I have a feeling she's going to have a fantastic future in Hollywood.

The men aren't as fun to critique their suits but occasionally there are a few misses. Robert Downey Jr might be the only man who can pull of a white tie. And the ever classic black tux worn by Jeff Bridges is always a hit. Unless you are Jeff Bridges, you should not wear a full beard, yes that's directed at you Christian Bale.

Jesse Eisenberg is just as socially awkward in real life as he is portraying Mark Zuckerberg in "The Social Network".

Russell Brand, you bother me, you look like a dress up hobo.

Christian Bale has an English accent? Why have I never noticed? Still, shave the beard.

Showtime.

Opening Best Picture Montage. Works perfectly. 10 movies, using the old movie 10 second countdown. Music is perfect. They picked the best scenes from each film put James and Anne in them with amazing humor. Even throwing in the Back to the Future. You sold me with the DeLorean. I mean it's got to be fantastic with Morgan Freeman and Alec Baldwin. Their opening monologue flowed and her dress is stunning. "What do I get if I win? ... Like is there money that goes with it?"

First awards of the night. Presented by Tom Hanks. The man gets better looking with age.

Achievement in Art Direction: Alice in Wonderland.
It's hard to beat this movie for the creating the dream-like world of Wonderland to Tim Burton's crazy mind.

Achievement in Cinematography: Inception
Creating the dreams and the movement within and between the different levels was outstanding. Its quite possible that the fight scene in the hotel with Joseph Gorden-Levitt won them that award.

Actress in a Supporting Role: Melissa Leo (The Fighter)
While I chose Hailee Steinfeld for this award I knew Leo was still a front-runner. She was fantastic as the mother/manager in this film. She portrayed the blue collar over protective mother of the entire family. It doesn't matter, I still don't like her dress though.

Presenters Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis. There might not be 2 more gorgeous people in the Kodak Theatre. Banksy... nice try Justin.

Animated Short: The Lost Thing
Animated Feature: Toy Story 3
That was a guarentee. Who doesn't love Buzz, Woody and the gang?

Best Adapted Screenplay: Aaron Sorkin (Social Network)
Fantastic write, fantastic screenplay. Aaron Sorkin has long deserved some sort of recognition like this.
Best Original Screenplay: David Siedler (King's Speech)
I loved the film, great screen play. I do feel as though Inception was a more unique screenplay for this category.

Anne Hathaway singing. Fantastic. (LOVE the shoes) Poor Hugh Jackman. Oh lord, James Franco... it's kind of scary how good you look in a dress.

Best Foreign Language Film: In A Better World (Denmark)
I still don't like Russell Brand, but his sketch with Dame Hellen Mirren was pretty good.

Actor in a Supporting Role: Christian Bale (The Fighter)
YES. The right man won this award. He brought so much light to such a dark story. His interpretation of Dickey Eklund was almost spot on. So good. And to see Mickey in the crowd. Inspirational.

What a better way to open a musical performance but with the Star Wars theme. Quite possibly the most iconic theme song for a movie. Ever.

Original Score: Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (Social Network)
The score brought the drama to the movie. It brought the actors performances to a new level.

Sound Mixing: Inception
I should have guessed this one but I didn't. I went the route of the King's Speech with the work they did in the final scene of the speech and the work done in speech therapy.
Sound Editing: Inception
How did I not pick Inception for both of these? At least I got 1 out of 2. I can remember feeling the sounds inside my chest when seeing the movie in the theater.

Achievement in Make Up: The Wolfman
Costume Design: Alice in Wonderland

Who doesn't love Randy Newman? Clearly the Academy does with 20 nominations.

Documentary Short: Strangers No More
Live Action Short: God of Love

Got to love a little T.Pain synthesizing. I still won't see any of the Twilight movies.

Documentary Feature: Inside Job

Billy Crystal needs to host the Oscars again.

2 sexy men. Oh lawd. Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law. Perfection.
Visual Effects: Inception
Creating these dreams and morphing them as the actors created them in the movie was impeccable. I remember feeling as though I was spinning, falling, or moving.
Film Editing: Social Network
I'm not surprised, the editing for the film was outstanding. They did an amazing job showing how fast paced the Facebook movement happened and everything surrounding building the largest "Social Network" in the world.

Florence's voice soothes me every time. I may have picked another wrong winner. This song I think might win. It's beyond powerful especially for the movie. But Gwenyth's song for "Country Strong" is great. I'm truly surprised by her voice. Tough choice.
Original Song: Randy Newman "We Belong Together" (Toy Story 3)
The man knows how to write a song, clearly he's been nominated 20 times but this is only his 2nd win. He deserves it.

I don't think it's possible for Halle Berry to not be stunningly beautiful.

Best Director: Tom Hooper (The King's Speech)
I'm surprised Fincher didn't win this category. A worthy winner don't get me wrong but I was expecting Fincher to take this one away.

Alright, my butts starting to hurt... I'm ready for the big awards.

Actress in a Leading Role: Natalie Portman (Black Swan)
Yeah, we all knew that was going to happen.

I love Sandra Bullock. She's truly amazing. Quite possibly the best part of the entire night, easily the best presenter.
Actor in a Leading Role: Colin Firth (The King's Speech)
Knew it. Knew it. As King George VI, stammering his way through life, until he met his speech therapist who changed his life made him realize he had a voice. Good job academy.

And finally here we are the big award.
Best Picture: Kings Speech
I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. There aren't enough words to describe how phenomenal this movie is. I still get chills thinking about the final speech.

Perfect ending with the PS22 chorus singing somewhere over the rainbow.

Final Count: 14/24 correct. Makes it known that I need to watch some of the shorts and documentaries if I want to do a better job of picking the winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment