Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year, New Outlook

I know it's beyond typical to write a new years post with all of your resolutions and everything you want to do in the next year, but bear with me as I write one myself. This years New Years was different than any other one I've ever had before. It kind of opened my eyes to a lot of things. I spent my evening with a few friends at the hospital in Evansville, IN with our friend Zach Powers (the one I wrote about a few months ago). He was going to be alone in the hospital, or possibly with his parents, and we didn't want that. New Years Eve is about being with friends and enjoying one another reflecting on the year that has passed. Zach was transferred down to a rehab facility in Evansville (his hometown) on Christmas Eve and we had made plans long before he moved to spend NYE with him. Me and 2 others, Ang and Matthew, drove down on the 30th and Adam from GA met us there. We spent the entire day with Zach on the 31st just hanging out. The highlight of the day/night was seeing him walk, get out of bed on his own just to give us a hug all in person. We had seen the videos of him walking and as amazing as they were, it was even better to see them in person. Words can't describe how amazing it was.

While in the past many of my New Years Eve celebrations were about going out to the bars or parties with friends and getting wasted, this year however was different. Midnight came and went and we almost didn't even realize it was upon us until about 10 minutes before. To ring in the New Year with a few of my best friends I couldn't have asked for more. We have been through so much in the remaining months of 2010 so for us to be together and know that we support one another was an incredible feeling. So with that, it's now 2011. I reflected on things that have happened in the past 5 years of my life:

1. graduated from UConn
2. spent a month traveling Europe alone (10 days w/ momma) finding out more about myself than ever before
3. lived in Chicago for 6 months working at an internship in a profession that I know I want to be in now.
4. traveled around the country seeing DMB and meeting some of the closest and best friends I could ask for.
5. found my soulmate, my person, Aris.
6. took chances, put myself out there, even if i failed, i kept trying.

2011 has a lot of potential and while right now things seem bleak I know I can turn things around. I'm currently living at home and working as an assistant boys swim coach, not exactly the glamorous post-college life I thought I'd be living. But it's up to me to change it, and only me. I know I've got the ability to do anything I want it's just about making it happen. With 2 days already completed in 2011 I've started to focus on a few goals and things I want to do:

1. Find a full-time career job: While I would love to be working in golf or sports ASAP, it's not exactly the easiest thing to get into, which is why I'm looking anywhere and everywhere for something that I can at least support myself without too much worry about money.
2. Living on my own: Yes I did that for a few months this summer, but I need to get out and away from home and truly live on my own.
3. Losing Weight: I've joined a biggest loser competition w/ my friends. I'm going to get back to where I used to be when I was swimming. I'm never going to be a size 2 but there is no reason why I can't be fit and get back into the clothes I wore when I was in high school.
4. 2014 Ironman: I'm going to do it. Starting this year I'm going to start training in different stages. The swimming part will come easily I just need to get a running and biking regime going so I can start doing marathons, mini triathalons and other types of road races. I know in a few years when I really need to start spending all of my spare time training it's going to be extremely difficult but worth it in the end when I say that I've completed an Ironman.

These are just a few of the goals that I've set for myself and I know that I can get them done. I want to be able to say that I've done something for myself in 2011, there are few years that I've ever truly completed some of my goals and I can feel that this year is going to be different. I'm sick of being just this average person who has nothing to show for themselves. It's going to change and I'm the only one who can do it.

2011... it's my year.

No comments:

Post a Comment