Saturday, April 24, 2010

Ben Folds and a Piano


My first adventure into the big city could not have been any better. Tuesday afternoon I left work a little early to catch the 4:43 train into the city and of course the non Chicago resident that I am forgot to buy my ticket beforehand and the ticket window was of course, closed. It doesn't matter that much because you can buy your ticket on the train. After my adventure on the train I made it the Purple L Line and headed north to the Belmont stop.

I got the to the Vic Theatre to pick up my ticket from Will Call and of course the line was around the corner long before I got there at 6:30. I got a spot in line and waited but my hopes of being up close and center were severely diminished. They let us into the venue and me being on my own made it a lot easier to get around and manuver my way to the front. Getting into the venue I was expecting the front to be jam packed, but found it near empty and I still can't figure out why it was so empty in front of the stage. I perfectly centered myself at center stage and about 2 people back. Pretty much near perfect seating/standing for this show. The only thing I couldn't see were his hands which are always amazing to watch. Either way I was close and exactly where I wanted to be. We still had another hour until the opener came on so of course it was incredibly boring.

The opener was this chick, can't remember her name, from Australia. She reminded me a lot of Regina Specktor but with opera. She had quite the voice and had one of the best songs that night about facebook. It's surprising how short an openers setlist is, she only played a 1/2 hour. So once she got off the stage we waited for Ben. He just finished a new album so right before he came one they played 2 songs over the sound system and they were pretty good, from what I could hear. Ben came on stage to a thunderous roar and unlike some artists he just went right into the music. The entire show was a good mix of old songs, newer solo songs, and new songs off the new album. I found it funny that he wears these special band aids on his fingers to prevent blisters (yet it kind of makes sense) but he also forgot to put them on that night so he had to stop and have the roadie bring them out which of course prompted many people to shout out various things. They then reminded him that it was his father in laws birthday so we preceded to sing happy birthday so they could record it. He brought out the opener to sing the female part on "you don't know me" and it was just amazing.

This man seriously puts on one of the best concerts I've ever seen. His stage presence resembles that of an entire band, and he's just on his own w/ his piano. It's quite remarkable. He played some of my favorite songs including Zak and Sara, Underground, and Kate. Ben played a few new songs, not too many which was perfect, but one song that he played was pretty much pure brilliance. His new album he cowrote w/ Nick Hornby (High Fidelity) and I guess for a few months Hornby was obsessed with Levi Johnston, yes the guy who knocked up Bristol Palin, and somehow figured out how to write a song about it. Ranging from paparazzi to killing mooses, it pretty much sums up everything about his life and it's spectacular. I wonder what Levi is going to think once the cd is released. It's kind of strange going to a new concert thats non-DMB because I'm used to the 2.5-3 hour concert and this was only 2 BUT he played more songs and it was just as amazing in its own way. For the encore Ben came back out and played a new song then messed around soloing on his piano when from the side stage a roadie came out and brought him a snare drum. He then transitioned to the other side of the stage while the rest of the crew built the drumset around him and NOT ONCE did he stop playing. Even when he lost one of his drumsticks he stretched out got it while still hitting the symbol. Talk about talent. He closed the show with "One Angry Dwarf" and it was single handedly one of the best performances of any songs I've ever seen.

Ben Folds is one artist that anyone and everyone should go see at some point in their life. He's a fantastic performer with incredible stage presence to wow any crowd no matter who they are. I can't wait to see him again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment